Search This Blog

Saturday 11 May 2013

Triumph 50 Litre Adventure Tail Bag fitted

See a Review of this Bag after 1 year's use here.

Well I did something about the ill-fitting BMW duffel bag - I bought the 50 litre Triumph Tail Bag online from Peter Stevens Triumph in Melbourne for $225.01 delivered. Have just fitted it and this is how it looks so far. The genuine Triumph fitting instructions are here.

What's in the box?

The bag in situ

  • the bag itself as above
  • a shoulder strap
  • a rain cover which can be left in one of the side pockets
  • 4 straps (2 short and 2 long ones) which are used to connect the bag to the bike
  • a features tag showing its made in China and needs to be fitted by a "Trained Technician"



Using it

I need an everyday bag that I can leave a helmet, jacket and gloves in when I leave the bike. It certainly fits all of that and more. Haven't checked it out in the rain yet but overall it is very easy to use and the zips are easy sliding, unlike the BMW duffel.
The bag can easily be fitted on the pillion seat when riding solo or on the rear carrier when the pillion is on board. It has a 3kg weight limit (which seems very small) but I am guessing this will apply if you used it on the rear carrier all the time maybe? It has straps under the bag that can be hooked onto the rear carrier to stabilise it as well. Mostly it will sit on the pillion seat where I had the Gearsack - it used to hold a lot more than 3kg ( I have carried 40kg of concrete in it) so it will be interesting to see how the Triumph bag goes.

The bag sits well and doesn't move

Side zip pocket closed - hard plastic outside.

Side zip pocket open - I store the rain cover here as well.

I use a padlock in one of the click straps to lock it to the bike

From the back in the solo position

View from the front

Easily fits a helmet, bike cover, jacket and gloves

3kg weight limit - a little overcautious I think.

Handle straps can be zipped away

Rain cover in place - view from the front

Rain cover from the back



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Omg, was just hunting for reviews of luggage for my new Triumph Tiger and recognized YOU! greetings from Tracey Atkinson , now living in Tampa Florida.
Might buy the 50 liter tail pack after all.
Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Tracey
Traceyjatkinson@hotmail.com

Mark Jensen said...

I just got one of these bags and used it for the first time. I like it a lot. I have one question. There is a snap tab on the rain fly but I find nowhere to attach it. I tested out riding with the fly on and the air got under it and the front right side came free and I pulled over before it became a kite. I guess I will bungee as I it has no drawstring.

Patrick said...

Good point Mark - I wasn't able to work out what it was for except that it made a quick marker to ensure it went on the right way ie. the snap tab to the back. I had the same problem about the thing trying to blow off, but found that if i ensured it tucked in under the bag on all sides then it sat ok no matter what speed I was going.
By the way, I don't use the bag anymore as the zips broke on the main bag. I use a Gearsack now and its waterproof without a rain cover.